Friday 27 April 2012

felt and things...



One of my favourite materials to work with is felt. I first learned to use and make this fabulous material in a GCSE art class age 14. I've not had the time to make any in years,  tending to stick to the shop bought squares. Acrylic is by far the cheapest however, for the occasional project i do invest in 100% wool felt  and spend time felting my own designs onto it.




The felt hearts are a staple make here. I give them out as small gifts in place of xmas and birthday cards. They are perfect to use up small, leftover bits of felt and are stuffed with toy stuffing, the smallest amount is needed.

For these I use a biscuit cutter as a template and scrap ribbons as the hanging loop. The designs are embroidered with a simple chain or running stitch with sequins sewn on to finish.






These pincushions were originally made as a single one off item for myself. Lacking a decent pincushion and the shop bought ones being incredibly... pink! Since making my own set here, I've gone on to make several more for friends who have tried to sneak them out of  my sewing box!

No comments:

Post a Comment