Saturday 22 September 2012

fun with a bird table!

Another Saturday and finally autumn seems to have kicked into gear. It has been one of those slow, productive days. The boy and I erected a temporary feeding station for the birds. Sadly the bird table I bought just isnt up to standard! it needs some minor work to make it usable.

I weighed up sending it back and asking for a refund - I ordered online and I guess this is one of the risks you take when ordering goods over the internet. Instead of sending it back, at a cost to me with postage I've decided to make the repair myself. The stand just isn't wide enough to sustain it in any kind of breeze. A minor job to get it 'functioning'. It has however made me wonder just how many faulty goods are sent back and what on earth do they do with them? not everyone has the skills or the tools to do these kind  of repairs. A little disappointing to think they might end up in landfill.

For now the bird table will sit indoors until i can get out to get some new screws and while I'm at it some wood preservative.

With that let down we decided it was time to get back out and forage. haws for ketchup and jam, sloes for yet more gin, blackberry, rowan and what ever else i can get my hands on to turn into jams and sauces!

First we tucked into good cheese and pickle sandwiches opening a jar of green tomato and courgette chutney I made last month. I had made this batch up with regular sugar rather than brown sugar and I have to admit, its pretty damn good for a light chutney. Im going to experiment using regular sugar as its cheaper especially if there is little difference in taste. The colour however did look interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment