Saturday 9 March 2013

Spring


Spring is here, thrust upon us suddenly.  Lighter evenings and the first buds have broken through the winter cocoon.  Woodland walks are now more than wading, ankle deep in thick, leafy mud but a hunt for the first greens.

I can smell the ramsons before I even make my way down the steps of my home.  I have plans and new recipes for this seasonal treat. Ravioli, tarts, herb butters and risotto's alongside the usual green soups, salads and pestos.

The nettles too, are growing vigorously.  I have missed eating my creamy nettle soup since the last frozen batch was consumed in autumn.

It already feels so brisk, life springing up where only a few days ago it felt so lifeless.  I barely feel able to keep up with the foraging yet its only just begun!

Off I go, basket in hand and a kitchen and well stocked cupboards waiting for my return.



No comments:

Post a Comment